Skip to main content

Health & Safety - Carbon Monoxide Awareness

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which has no taste, colour or smell.  It can make you feel seriously ill and can kill quickly without warning.

What are the signs of a carbon monoxide leak?

Carbon monoxide can be produced when poorly maintained, incorrectly fitted or badly repaired appliances do not burn gas completely.  Look out for the following signs that could indicate that gas appliances are not working correctly and CO may be present in the property.

  • Yellow or orange flame on your gas hob, rather than a crisp blue flame.
  • Dark, sooty staining on or around gas appliances.
  • Boiler pilot light that frequently blows out.
  • Increased condensation inside windows.

What are the physical symptoms or carbon monoxide poisoning?

  • Nausea.
  • Dizziness.
  • Breathlessness.
  • Collapse.
  • Loss of consciousness.

To ensure your gas appliances are in good working order, arrange testing of your appliances regularly.  Visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk for further information.

James Gibb doing it the right way

Out of Hours Emergency. Call us on 0333 240 8325 where our helpline operators will assist you

Aberdeen

27 Chapel Street
Aberdeen
AB10 1SQ

aberdeen@jamesgibb.co.uk

Directions

 

Dundee

Unit J, Prospect Business Centre
Gemini Crescent
Dundee DD2 1TY

dundee@jamesgibb.co.uk

Directions

Edinburgh

4 Atholl Place
Edinburgh
EH3 8HT

edinburgh@jamesgibb.co.uk

Directions

Glasgow

65 Greendyke Street
Glasgow 
G1 5PX

glasgow@jamesgibb.co.uk

Directions

 

Cookies

Find out more about how we use cookies to help deliver the best experience for you.