Skip to main content

Water leaks between apartments

Who is responsible for arranging the initial repair? 

For those covered by our common policy, when an insurance claim is notified to James Gibb, one of our approved insurance contractors may attend and following assessment will issue a full comprehensive report to the Insurer for approval. However, when a claim is identified as a water leak which originates from one property and affects your property, other properties and/or the common areas, immediate action is required from the homeowner/tenant within each property to source the cause of the leak and repair this as soon as possible.

If the source of the leak cannot be identified by the homeowner/tenant which may be due to the pipe being concealed, then the water supply to the property should be turned off immediately to mitigate the loss.

In this instance, the communal buildings insurance policy would cover “Trace and Locate Works” and the approved contractor will be instructed accordingly.

Please note that only after the source of the leak has been identified and repaired can the James Gibb approved insurance contractor attend to identify any resultant damage and prepare their full report of the works required to allow the Insurers to consider the claim.   

For further information on our claims process please see our Insurance Customer Guide  which can also be found at Documents and Guides at our website

James Gibb doing it the right way

Out of Hours Emergency. Call us on 0333 240 8325 where our helpline operators will assist you

Glasgow (Head Office)

Red Tree Magenta, 3rd Floor,

270 Glasgow Road, Glasgow, G73 1UZ



Edinburgh Office

23 Alva Street, 

Edinburgh, EH2 4PS


Aberdeen Office

27 Chapel Street,
Aberdeen, AB10 1SQ



Dundee Office

Unit J, Prospect Business Centre,
Gemini Crescent, Dundee, DD2 1TY



Find out more about how we use cookies to help deliver the best experience for you.